Monday, June 22, 2009

The day I wet my pants...




I promised to write back about this experience, and here goes... This past Saturday VW invited me to test drive the new Golf 6 GTi and now I can finally write, first-hand, what it really feels like driving this new hot hatch. And the latter is not an overstatement. At first glance the car seems a little overstyled, and not as subtle as before - creating a sense of "souped-up" or cheap after-market attachments. However, upon closer inspection, and especially inside, the word 'cheap' don't really apply. VW has gone to great lengths to add more expensive details, such as chrome fittings and neat details to ensure a more upmarket feel. I can't find any fault with the car's interior, or exterior design, and quality of materials used. It's a well packaged vehicle. Then, the driving instructor decided it's time to take me around the race track to display the car's real strengths - on the road. And then, my life starting flashing in front of me... driving full speed ahead into a corner, and taking it at 180km/h with breaks and wheels screaming as loud as hell... I have never been driven that fast in a car, let alone a GTi. It was frighteningly exciting and I think I literally wet my pants on that drive (more like, "race"!). Then, I had to take the steering wheel. I didn't drive like a maniac, but I can tell you this much, this car sticks to the road like glue would. It has enormous grip, brilliant handling, and I swear, it feels like a Porsche or Ferrari squashed into a smaller parcel of dynamite. The first words I uttered after finishing my drive was, 'I want one'!!! Ignore the bland exterior update (compared with the Golf5),and go drive the car. You'll change your mind about this hot, hot hatch!
I've seen it in red, black & white, and prefer white, honestly, it looks the best and brings out the crisp lines of the car. If you can't afford one, at least take a drive to Kyalami and sign up for 1 day of pure, exhilarating fun with the VW Advanced Driving course and their fleet of new Golf 6 GTi's.



No comments:

Post a Comment