Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Once again, we gotta plan ahead!


It's a new week and I'm back at work - after a well needed break in Cape Town with the people I value most in my life - mother, father, brother, sister-in-law & cutest of all, my 6-month old nephew. I miss them everyday (living about 1000km's in another city) and being with my family puts life into perspective again. They are grounded people, especially since they farm and live in beautiful vineyard-surrounded landscapes. My dad always talks about 'saving your money,' and how 'hard work pays off'. On my flight back from Cpt to Jhb I sat next to a 39-year old lady who decided to call it quits in the business world. She's had enough of the "games & politics, having no life, and the stress!" For the most part I was eavesdropping while she chatted to another ex-colleague (male) sitting on the other side. She was flying up to Jhb to put her car (and herself) on a train back to Cpt. Her next venture was a small business in Hermanus (a confectionary shop with her mother). Eventually I plucked up enough courage and started speaking to her. I asked what she regrets the most about being a massively successful businesswoman. She replied, "probably, not having a life for more than 15 years. And, spending all my huge salaries on luxury cars, exotic overseas trips, and many a gift!" Then I asked her for one bit of advice, and she said, "planning! Always plan, because that is what many people don't do and then get stuck and depressed." Those words seem to be repeated by every single (business) person I speak to. My dad always says, if you lose your job today, have enough savings so that you could comfortably live for at least 6 months.
I have to discipline myself, get my emotions balanced, and love life for what it is. It is tough for me right now since I'm not entirely happy in Jhb but this is where I've settled and where my job is (for now). Sometimes I miss having the close-knit love & support of a family home, which I have, but it's not with me everyday. And, honestly, counting on friends is pointless. Never ever think that your friends owe you something, I've learnt that the hard way. Yet, I will always be there for any of my friends if they need my help. Go well. Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment