Friday, June 4, 2010

My training routine and some other thoughts...


I haven't written here in a while! The Soccer World Cup is opening in a week's time, and since I work in TV, we are focusing on gathering content for the next month. This includes, going out to shoot events that are happening around World Cup, and working on new shows that are broadcasting only over this period. Apologies for not writing more often!
At least I'm still able to make time for gym (which is very important to me). My sessions are often very short (40 minutes max), but on certain days I go twice. I have isolated the muscle groups where I need better definition and shape, and it seems that my shorter-stints at the gym (more intense though), is paying off. I see better definition on my shoulders, upper legs, biceps, triceps and chest.
A personal trainer explained to me that warming up before your session is vital. And choosing the correct warm-up exercise is even more important.


There are 2 different types that I prefer; it gets your blood pumping and the muscle fibre ready to train really hard:
1) Squats
2) Combination of dead lifts/ clean pull-ups

Squats are always referred to by personal trainers as the best all-round exercise since it puts pressure on a variety of muscle groups. Hence, a great way to warm-up!
I do 3 sets and then start my training session.

Dead lifts and clean pull-ups are very similar, except that clean pull-ups have the extra tension on shoulders (shrugs) and calves (lifting your feet off the ground).
See this link on dead lifts:
And read here about clean pull's:

I also read an interesting article with tips on 'how to get stronger', see here:

For general cardio, always head towards the rowing machine. This type of exercise does not burn muscle as quickly as, say cycling/spinning or running.

See pics below from gym this morning. Blackberry's don't have great quality on the camera side, but hey, it'll do ;)
I honestly don't think you need to be at gym for 2 hours everyday. When you have a moment in the day (say 40 minutes), then do a work-out and focus on 1 muscle only. If you do shorter, more regular training sessions, you can focus on more specific parts of your body and not try and do too much in a day. Try it out!

In the meanwhile, I have to reiterate that being true to yourself, not comparing yourself to other people (and feeling inferior, weak or useless), are so crucial in building a better and more confidant personality. You have to find your own strengths, and only judge yourself based on your own previous attempt/performance/ etc.
Have a blessed weekend!
XX

1 comment: